The public overwhelmingly support an increase in taxes on the rich to cover the costs of climate change. This was unsurprising. But the research did also find that young people were prepared to give wealthy individuals the benefit of the doubt when it came to how they chose to spend their money.
- How does the public view the ultra-rich’s sometimes lavish lifestyles?
- How does the public feel towards space travel?
- Why are younger people less favourable of tax increases?
- What should wealthy individuals do to help tackle climate change?
In Q3 2021, Transmission Private conducted a survey to better understand whether the public felt UHNWIs were doing enough to respond to the threat of climate change. The survey resulted from polling a nationally representative sample of 2,000 members of the UK public.
Selected findings and recommendations
- 70% of respondents said that wealthy individuals should pay more tax to cover the cost of climate change.
- 75% of respondents said that wealthy individuals should focus their resources on problems facing Earth before space travel.
- Young respondents were surprisingly less supportive of tax increases for the ultra-rich.
- Gen-Z were the most supportive of billionaires exploring space, compared with other age groups.
Plus, more raw data from our survey of 2,000 members of the public... and practical, hands-on suggestions on how to manage your risk and respond to potential issues. Download the full report below.
- Forbes: Billionaire Space Race Turns Into A Publicity Disaster
- Euronews: Billionaires should focus on using resources for climate change not on space travel, public says
- The Ecologist: Billionaires 'should pay for climate action'
- Dezeen: "Every self-respecting spaceship should have a bar" says CEO of space tourism company