Company owners, senior executives, and board members increasingly find themselves subject to high-profile public backlashes, especially on social media. Senior company leaders are at significant risk of personalised attacks and need to take judicious, careful and reasonable action to keep these risks under control.
- Are company owners at risk of public backlashes?
- What reputational risks do company leaders face?
- How do the public express their anger towards a senior executive?
- Why should companies consider the personal reputations of the leadership team?
In Q1 2021, Transmission Private commissioned research into whether successful individuals, executives and company leaders were as likely to be subject to public backlashes as the businesses they lead.
Selected findings and recommendations
- Company leaders are at significant risk of personalised attacks and need to take judicious, careful, and reasonable action to keep these risks under control
- 83% of the public said they would seek to express their anger publicly with a senior executive if they objected to their behaviour in some way
- One in 10 respondents said they would attack a successful individual’s reputation by writing to the press or posting on social media
- Younger people seek to turn their personal grievances into political campaigns. Almost a quarter of younger people said they would sign a petition to show their anger at an executive
Plus, more raw data from our survey of 2,000 members of the public... and practical, hands-on suggestions on how to manage your risk and respond to potential issues. Download the full report below.